Re: [linux-audio-user] debian, 2.4x, alsa-0.9.0beta12, ymfpci HOWDID

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] debian, 2.4x, alsa-0.9.0beta12, ymfpci HOWDID
From: Patrick Shirkey (kotau_AT_firstlinux.net)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 18:05:41 EET

IMO this should not be in the quicktoots but should be in the alsa-howto wiki and once completed should be included on the alsa-howto docbook.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

--- Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <eric_AT_zhevny.com> wrote: >Part: 1 ><pre>I've attached my first draft attempt at describing how I set up alsa on >my debian testing box for my guillemot maxisound fortissimo using the >ymfpci driver. Here's my todo list which includes some questions I'm >hoping some of you can answer. > > >TODO: asoundrc section. Is this needed for this card? Where can I get > information on how to set this up for my card? > > describe all controls and parameters available for this card and >what > they do. Is this information in the driver source? I know there >is >an > alsa ftp site with manufacturer docs on various cards. Where is >that? > > recording/playing section. What are the line and mic devices for? > They don't seem to be needed for recording. I just used the >capture > and ADC devices. Is that appropriate? Is there something I > missed in my configuration that would make these work? > > Incorporate suggestions from mailing list members. > > proof read. > > HTML markup for Dave and Patrick's quick toots pages. > > enter into the wiki so others can fill in the gaps and make it > applicable to other ymfpci supported cards. Mark Constable has > offered to do this. Mark, I suppose it can't hurt to put this > up on the wiki as is, seeing as how wiki's are all dynamic anyway. > > > >Thanks in advance for any suggestions or answers. > >-Eric Rz.</pre>Part: 2 ><pre>Installing alsa-0.9.0beta12 >Debian Testing with Linux 2.4.x >Guillemot Maxisound Fortissimo (ymfpci) >HOWDID > >Eric Rzewnicki >First Draft 2002-03-10 > >TODO: asoundrc section. Is this needed for this card? Where can I get > information on how to set this up for my card? > > recording/playing section. What are the line and mic devices for? > They don't seem to be needed for recording. I just used the capture > and ADC devices. Is that appropriate? Is there something I > missed in my configuration that would make these work? > > Incorporate suggestions from mailing list members. > > HTML markup for Dave and Patrick's quick toots pages. > > enter into the wiki so others can fill in the gaps and make it > applicable to other ymfpci supported cards. Mark Constable has > >offered to do this. Mark, I suppose it can't hurt to put this > up on the wiki as is, seeing as how wiki's are all dynamic anyway. > > >DOWNLOAD: > >alsa-driver-0.9.0beta12.tar.bz2 >alsa-lib-0.9.0beta12.tar.bz2 >alsa-utils-0.9.0beta12.tar.bz2 > > >CONFIGURE BUILD ENVIRONMENT: > >Create a directory, copy and unpack source: >mkdir /usr/src/alsa-0.9.0beta12/ >ln -s /usr/src/alsa-0.9.0beta12/ /usr/src/alsa >cp /directory/where/you/put/alsa-*.bz2 /usr/src/alsa >cd /usr/src/alsa >bunzip2 -v alsa-*.bz2 >tar -xvf alsa-lib-0.9.0beta12.tar >tar -xvf alsa-utils-0.9.0beta12.tar >tar -xvf alsa-driver-0.9.0beta12.tar > >Make sure &quot;make install&quot; can find System.map: >I am using the Debian make-kpkg system for compiling and installing my kernels. >It does not leave System.map in the kernel source directory. It was necessary > >for me to create two symlinks in order for the alsa-driver &quot;make install&quot; >procedure to find my System.map. > >cd /boot >ln -s System.map-`uname -r` System.map >cd /usr/src/linux/ >ln -s /boot/System.map System.map > >Before I made these links &quot;make install&quot; for the drivers would fail at the > >depmod stage with an error like this (with `uname -r` here standing in for >the >current running kernel): > >depmod -a -F /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/System.map `uname -r` >depmod: Can't read /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/System.map > >I don't think this step is needed if you compiled your kernel with the more >traditional &quot;make dep; make clean; make bzImage; make install; make modules; >make modules_install&quot; chain of commands. > > >COMPILE AND INSTALL ALSA-DRIVERS: > >cd /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-0.9.0beta12 > >Read the INSTALL file. Make sure your kernel has sound support turned on. >You >also need to have your configured kernel sources installed. > >If you want to pass some options to configure, ./configure --help will >show you >what's available. I chose to use the defaults: > >./configure > >Build the modules and install them in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/sound/: > >make install > >Create device nodes in /dev/snd/. (Actually, links to /proc/asound/dev/: > >./snddevices > >The INSTALL file tells you to edit /etc/modules.conf. On Debian this file >is >generated by the update-modules utility based on files in /etc/modutils/. >I added the following lines to /etc/modutils/aliases then ran update-modules: > >alias char-major-116 snd >alias snd-card-0 snd-ymfpci > >Load the modules into the running kernel: > >depmod snd-ymfpci > > >COMPILE AND INSTALL ALSA-LIB: > >This is necessary in order to build and install the alsa-utils. > >cd /usr/src/alsa/alsa-lib-0.9.0beta12 >./configure >make install > > >COMPILE AND INSTALL ALSA-UTILS: > >Alsa-utils includes alsactl, alsamixer, amixer and aplay. They are useful >tools for testing and working with your soundcard. > >cd /usr/src/alsa/alsa-lib-0.9.0beta12 >./configure >make install > > >TESTING RECORD AND PLAYBACK: > >I tested recording first through a cheap microphone that plugs directly >into >the mic input with a mini-jack and then with a hand-held cassette > >recorder/player plugged into the line input via a mini-jack patch cable. >I also >tested playback. > >Start alsamixer: > >alsamixer > >Prepare the soundcard for recording from the microphone: > >Alsamixer displays an ncurses interface to the various devices within the >soundcard. You can select devices using the left and right arrow keys or >n and >p for (n)ext and (p)revious. Level for the selected device can be adjusted >with >the up and down arrow keys or w and x. Mute status can be togled with the >m key. >Capture status can be togled with the space bar. > >Except for Capture and >ADC, I muted, turned off capture and set the level to >zero for all devices. >Capture and ADC I unmuted and turned all the way up. > >Test recording: > >arecord -d 30 -f cd -t wav test.wav > >This records a file named test.wav of (t)ype wav in cd (f)ormat for a >(d)uration of 30 seconds. > >Prepare the soundcard for playback: > >Except for Master, PCM and Wave, I muted, turned off capture and set the >level >to zero for all devices. Master, PCM and Wave were unmuted and set to the > >maximum &quot;green&quot; level. > >Test playback: > >aplay -f cd test.wav > >Prepare the soundcard for duplex recording from line input: > >Except for Master, PCM, Capture and ADC, I muted, turned off capture and >set the >level to zero for all devices. Master, PCM and Wave were unmuted and set >to the >maximum &quot;green&quot; level. This allows the input to play through the speakers >while >it is recording. > >arecord -d 30 -f cd -t wav testline.wav > >Set up the soundcard and test playback the same way as above. > > >STORING AND RESTORING MIXER SETTINGS: > >alsactl allows you to store the >current mixer settings to a file and then >restore those settings at a later time. For each mixer scenario described >above >you can store the settings in a file and then use that file to set the >soundcard: > >Set the devices via alsamixer for recording from the mic as described above. >alsactl -f micrecord.conf store > >Set the devices via alsamixer for recording from line input as descrbed >above. >alsactl -f linerecord.conf store > >Set the devices via alsamixer for playback as described above. >alsactl -f micrecord.conf store > >Then you can switch between the different scenarios without using alsamixer: >alsactl -f foo.conf restore > > >ASOUNDRC CONFIGURATION: > >???????? > ></pre>

_____________________________________________________________ Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net

_____________________________________________________________ Run a small business? Then you need professional email like you_AT_yourbiz.com from Everyone.net http://www.everyone.net?tag