Re: [linux-audio-user] debian, 2.4x, alsa-0.9.0beta12, ymfpci HOWDID

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] debian, 2.4x, alsa-0.9.0beta12, ymfpci HOWDID
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (rzewnickie_AT_rfa.org)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 19:05:54 EET

Dave Phillips wrote:

> Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
>
> > I've attached my first draft attempt at describing how I set up alsa on
> > my debian testing box for my guillemot maxisound fortissimo using the
> > ymfpci driver. Here's my todo list which includes some questions I'm
> > hoping some of you can answer.
> > [snip]
> > HTML markup for Dave and Patrick's quick toots pages.
>
> Eric's work brings up a certain problem of definition regarding the
> Quick Toots. My original intention was that the site would be dedicated
> specifically to *applications* and not installation/configuration.

Ah, I see. I didn't realize that. Then I can cross that bit off my todo
list.

> Nevertheless, there is obviously a great need for some kind of
> collection of setup routines for the various cards, drivers, and whatnot
> needed just to get sound in or out of a Linux machine.

agreed.

> What do the rest of you think ? Should such pages be included in the
> Quick Toots, or should a different site (or section) evolve to present
> installation/configuration/setup directions ?
>
> The floor is open...

Mark Constable pasted my text into the wiki, so it's available here:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=GuillemotMaxisoundFortissimo

with my todo list here:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=ymfpci

I think the basic organization of the wiki will do for the
installation/config/setup type of information. But, I'm not very
familiar with wiki's. I haven't used them before. They appear to have a
lot of potential for this type of information. I just wonder about
_any_one being able to edit it. Will it remain manageable? I wonder what
positive and negative experiences others have had in using wiki's.

Whether or not we use a wiki, I'm starting to worry about having Linux
Audio Documentation spread out around too many different sites. Right
now there seem to be at least these in place or planned:

Dave's Soundapps site
Paul W's proposed database driven soundapps site
Patrick's Linux Audio User's Guide
alsa.opensrc.org wiki
The Quick Toots site (is this part of Patrick's site, or part of Dave's
site?)
linux music station (www.Mstation.org)
a few things at www.linuxdj.com
LAD site
www.ladspa.org
jackit.sf.net
each individual application's site
others?

I think it makes sense for ALSA, LADSPA, jack and each app to have their
own pages. But for all the other sites...There seems to be a big
potential for much duplication of effort.

> Best regards,
>
> == Dave Phillips

my $.02

-Eric Rz.