Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI question
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 11:52:00 EET

Hi Gavin,

Gavin Stevens hat gesagt: // Gavin Stevens wrote:

> Although I have experienced a steep learning curve with Debian, once I
> got X running, sound has been very easy to use. I have been able to play
> CDs, mp3s etc. with no problem. I have yet to get MIDI working & I would
> greatly appreciate any thoughts on whether or how this is possible.

"Get MIDI working" is a bit too general. What exactly do you want to do? Do
you have external Midi hardware that you want to use via the computer? Do
you just need midi-in or midi-in and out? Do you want to use the synth on
your soundcard? All these are very different problems. Also we'd need to
know, what sound drivers you use: ALSA or the OSS/Free kernel driver?

> My Debian box is a Pentium 200 with 64 MB RAM. I am using a SB 16 PCI
> card. I know they are not the latest or greatest, but I use the same in
> my Windows machine & it does what I want with no hassle.

well, what's it you want?

> I tried Rosegarden, but it didn't work & wouldn't let me alter anything
> in the Config section (it was showing /null or something similar).
> Rosegarden is also way too big for my monitor, which would make using it
> difficult, even if it worked.
Rosgarden is also way too old for serious midi work, IMO. There are people
working on that, but I would really recommend to use MusE. It's the nicest
midi sequencer now.

On the other hand, I don't know how good MusE would run on a Pentium 200
and on rather a small monitor...

Ciao,

--
                                                 __    __