Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI question
From: Gavin Stevens (gavin-stevens_AT_gavmusic.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 01:06:57 EET

Hi Frank,
I use MIDI for editing & arranging music (in Windows, I would probably
use Cakewalk for this), before making a score, or running it through an
external synth & recording it. I almost always edit midi files from the
music notation, apart from basic stuff like combining tracks.

The other main use I have for MIDI, is auditioning scores I have
prepared in a score-writing package, as part of the proof-reading
process (I use Mozart in Windows).

In general, I just use the sounds on the soundcard when auditioning MIDI
files.

I'm not using ALSA at present, although it is on the Debian CDs I have.
Apart from the fact that it is to do with sound, I know little else
about ALSA.

I am currently using the driver I installed during the Debian
installation process. If it isn't ALSA, then I assume it to be OSS/Free
kernel.

Is this enough information?

Thanks,
Gavin.

| "Get MIDI working" is a bit too general. What exactly do you want to
do? Do
| you have external Midi hardware that you want to use via the computer?
Do