Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI question
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 18:17:03 EET

hello gavin !

welcome to linux-audio-user.

(one request: please post your messages inline (this came as an
attachment) and wrap them to 70 characters - this makes them easier
to read on some not-so-intelligent mail clients)

Gavin Stevens wrote:

> Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
> Encoding: quoted-printable
> Although I have experienced a steep learning curve with Debian, once I got X running, sound has been very easy to use. I have been able to play CDs, mp3s etc. with no problem. I have yet to get MIDI working & I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on whether or how this is possible.

first thing we must know is what drivers you are using: either it's
OSS or ALSA. i'd recommend you set up ALSA, because it is the more
modern and flexible.
consider joining the alsa-user list as well to help you with any
alsa-specific problems (at least while you're installing it for the
first time). (http://www.alsa-project.org)

> My Debian box is a Pentium 200 with 64 MB RAM. I am using a SB 16 PCI card. I know they are not the latest or greatest, but I use the same in my Windows machine & it does what I want with no hassle.

should be ok for MIDI, as long as you don't want to use it as a
soft-synthesizer - but a few voices should be possible anyway.

> I tried Rosegarden, but it didn't work & wouldn't let me alter anything in the Config section (it was showing /null or something similar). Rosegarden is also way too big for my monitor, which would make using it difficult, even if it worked.

what exactly do you want to do ?
sequence ? (try jazz or muse)
notate ? (can't help you here - for basic needs, there are some good
linux options, but if you need professional scoring, you have to
keep windoze around for now. hate to say that, but it's true.)

> Is there a way to set up MIDI from the command line? Or do I have some software missing? Alternatively, is the SB 16 PCI supported for MIDI in Linux?

it is supported. what do you mean by "set up"? do you have a driver
in place already ?

ALSA has some very flexible routing, and there even is a graphical
interface for it (aconnectgui it's called iirc)

please specify your questions.

best,

jörn

--
Computer Science is no more about computers than
astronomy is about telescopes.