[linux-audio-user] MIDI question

Subject: [linux-audio-user] MIDI question
From: Gavin Stevens (gavin-stevens_AT_gavmusic.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 01:56:18 EET

Although I have experienced a steep learning curve with Debian, once I got X running, sound has been very easy to use. I have been able to play CDs, mp3s etc. with no problem. I have yet to get MIDI working & I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on whether or how this is possible.

My Debian box is a Pentium 200 with 64 MB RAM. I am using a SB 16 PCI card. I know they are not the latest or greatest, but I use the same in my Windows machine & it does what I want with no hassle.

I tried Rosegarden, but it didn't work & wouldn't let me alter anything in the Config section (it was showing /null or something similar). Rosegarden is also way too big for my monitor, which would make using it difficult, even if it worked.

Is there a way to set up MIDI from the command line? Or do I have some software missing? Alternatively, is the SB 16 PCI supported for MIDI in Linux?

Thanks,
Gavin.