Re: [linux-audio-user] virtual sampler

New Message Reply About this list Date view Thread view Subject view Author view Other groups

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] virtual sampler
From: Juan Linietsky (coding_AT_reduz.com.ar)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 21:02:09 EET

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:11:20 +0000
matt yee-king <yeeking_AT_no-future.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> wondering if anyone knows of a midi controllable virtual sampler?
>
> cheers
>
> matthew
>

Hello! i was wondering the same a while ago. After searching around
and asking dave, i found that the only "usable" ones were timidity (which works really nice but it's very limited) and iiwusynth (which sounds really good and uses soundfont, so you can combine it with smurf).
The problem with iiwusynth is that it's written enterily using floats,
which makes it extremely slow (I tried compiling with pgcc and all possible optimizations and it still cant pull out more than a few channels on my duron 800). Still, the accuracy is great, if you dont mind such enormous cpu usage.

After giving up on my search i've decided that i'm going to do one myself, so I'm working on it at the moment, using the engine of cheesetracker as a base, with a lot of enhacements. The priority is speed (polyphony) and cheesetracker can manage around 200 (or way more) simultaneous channels on my duron 800. It uses filtered, volume ramped mixers with send buffers for effects.

I hope it will be usable sometime next month, since i dont have much time to work on it.

regards

Juan Linietsky

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Wed Mar 20 2002 - 20:48:23 EET