Re: [linux-audio-user] virtual sampler

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] virtual sampler
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 12:52:07 EET

Juan Linietsky hat gesagt: // Juan Linietsky wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:11:20 +0000
> matt yee-king <yeeking_AT_no-future.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > wondering if anyone knows of a midi controllable virtual sampler?
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > matthew
> >

> Hello! i was wondering the same a while ago. After searching around
> and asking dave, i found that the only "usable" ones were timidity (which
> works really nice but it's very limited) and iiwusynth (which sounds
> really good and uses soundfont, so you can combine it with smurf). The
> problem with iiwusynth is that it's written enterily using floats, which
> makes it extremely slow (I tried compiling with pgcc and all possible
> optimizations and it still cant pull out more than a few channels on my
> duron 800). Still, the accuracy is great, if you dont mind such enormous
> cpu usage.

I cannot find the behaviour you mention in iiwusynth here, and I only have
an Athlon 900 which is not -that- much faster than your Duron 800. In
fact, I helped bringing the newer iiwu to PD (like I did with your dx7 ;).
I have successfully used both the iiwu~ and the rx7~ PD-objects based on
your rx/saturno in a single patch (iiwu mostly for drums, rx7~ for the melodic
parts) without seeing one being a big CPU hog. I ran the midisequencer MusE
in parallel and some other PD objects in that patch as well. And PD itself
is highly float based, as all number computations use floats, and the dsp
objects generate signals normally scaled to the range -1 to +1

ciao,

--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______