Re: [linux-audio-user] New Linux soundapp site progress

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] New Linux soundapp site progress
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 17:58:30 EEST

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 06:33:20 -0800, Paul Winkler wrote:

> I'm not sure if I've made this clear:
> we're not restricted to apps. being located in a single category.
> It's not a strict tree
> hierarchy, where each leaf is unique and can only be on one
> branch. Instead, the categories are more like sets of the whole set
> of apps. They can overlap.
> The category tree is just a convenient way to find
> your way around.

[I'm afraid the knowledge engineer inside me is fighting to get out]

This is a taxonomy.

Its certainly not a problem to apply more than one set of classes (t-box,
aka ontology) to a set of instances (a-box, aka knowledge base).

The key question is how you abstract the a-box from the t-box. I also
dabble in SQL, so I'd do it in tables, but in an abstract form, the data
structure would look like:

t-box: (-> represents the hasSuperClass relation)

Digital Audio -> Resource
File Compression -> Digital Audio
LADSPA Plugins -> Digital Audio

a-box: (-> repersents the isInstanceOf relation)

FLAC -> File Compression
Ogg Vorbis -> File Compression
Steve's Plugins -> LADSPA Plugins

Shout if this doesn't make sense, or you want more information.

- Steve