Re: [linux-audio-user] New Linux soundapp site progress

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] New Linux soundapp site progress
From: francesco whalley (nonsenso_AT_planet.it)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 15:47:17 EEST

> > I think it could be useful to make a list of keywords
> > then bound every software/resource to some of them
> > (three-four keywords per item).
> > The list could be used to single out some categories
> > scanning for most used keywords and eventually
> > to let visitors browse the site choosing keywords
> > from some select menus.
>
> Just to be clear:
> Are you suggesting that we track the keyword searches and
> use that to guide us in creating categories?
> Or that users can customize their own category list?
> >>>
> It's not a strict tree
> hierarchy, where each leaf is unique and can only be on one
> branch. Instead, the categories are more like sets of the whole set
> of apps. They can overlap.
> The category tree is just a convenient way to find
> your way around.

categories and keywords are two things
very different and very similar at the same time.
without getting into philosophical off topic issues...
some engines use the meta keywords
to search pages over the internet.
every item has a set of keywords,
and some items are grouped in categories.
there are charts of most searched words on the web
but it's just impossible to present an entire list
of the keywords to search engines users.
linux audio users domain is a tiny little world
compared to what web engines usually search into.
so what i'm just suggesting is to initially build the
keywords list, then this could be used in several manners.

apart from the non-strict tree of categories and
apart from the search form, to have another way
of browsing the site. some select menus can
present the keywords to the user "before" searching
through text, or can appear after already entered
in a category to help cross category browsing.

probably the global list has to be created from scratch
with inputs from all the linux audio users...
tracking searches is surely a good way to refine it
and to help further in choosing categories
but it needs a while before being effective.

just ideas...

Francesco

i don't have really a lot of spare time
but if i could help with the site...
to have an idea of my recent past works,
i've been the chief developer of
www.minamazzini.com site. Mina is a really famous
Italian singer (not very young but great...).
Let me know.