Re: [linux-audio-user] New Linux soundapp site progress

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] New Linux soundapp site progress
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 17:33:20 EEST

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 07:11:59AM +0200, francesco whalley wrote:
> I think it could be useful to make a list of keywords
> then bound every software/resource to some of them
> (three-four keywords per item).
> The list could be used to single out some categories
> scanning for most used keywords and eventually
> to let visitors browse the site choosing keywords
> from some select menus.

Just to be clear:
Are you suggesting that we track the keyword searches and
use that to guide us in creating categories?
Or that users can customize their own category list?

> just some comments...
> apart from all these comments i'd like to declare beforehand
> that they are not here just to criticize but only because i think
> that public speaking about a matter could help to absorb it,
> and this is very important for the browsing categories of a site.

Of course.

> Csound and friends could be seen as development tools
> but they reside more in the "synthesis" domain...
> orc, sco and csd files are jit compiled but what you get
> it's rendered soundfiles or realtime stuff, not a conventional app.

I could go either way on that issue.

I'm not sure if I've made this clear:
we're not restricted to apps. being located in a single category.
It's not a strict tree
hierarchy, where each leaf is unique and can only be on one
branch. Instead, the categories are more like sets of the whole set
of apps. They can overlap.
The category tree is just a convenient way to find
your way around.

> Isn't Digital Audio too general as a category if we speak
> about audio software? I know what it's meant here but
> personallyi think it's too broad.

I had the same thought.
Not sure what to do here.

In case anyone's lost, we're talking about Eric
Rzewnicki's proposed categorization:

> > Digital Audio:
> > File Compression
> > LADSPA Plugins
> > Mixers
> > Multitrack Recorders/Mixers
> > Soundfile Editors

> Same apply for Musician's tools
> I know here musician is used to refer to classical musician
> but I created most of my music with a machine not with
> my ex violin so i personally think most of the things in the
> site will be musician tools...

I agree. I think the problem is with the name, and I
can't think of a better one.
"Tools for Instrumentalists"???
More precise, but unweildy.

> Sound cards & Drivers aren't necessarily in the development
> domain. Everyone that has to setup an environment not
> automatically settled by an os installer or by some other tool,
> has to pass the "ordeal"... especially for some types of soundcards.

I agree. I think drivers, soundcards, and related docs are important
enough to get a top-level category.

> please forgive me for my macaronic english

It's quite good.

--PW