Re: [linux-audio-user] changing midi programs easily

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] changing midi programs easily
From: Bill Allen (ballen_AT_mail.serve.com)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 18:03:16 EEST

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hi Bill,
> Bill Allen hat gesagt: // Bill Allen wrote:
>
> > I've got my system set up so that on startup, it runs timidity in server
> > mode, does the aconnect thus allowing the keyboard to be played by my 6
> > year old any time he wants. The problem I want to solve is that by default
> > it is running on program 0 which is Grand Piano which is fine, but it
> > would be nice if he could change the program easily. I don't have it in me
> > to try to teach him to use Muse (at least not for another year or so!),
> > which at any rate doesn't have a very friendly program change anyway. Does
> > anybody know of an easy to use GUI that would change the program? Or,
> > alternatively can anybody point me on a path to program one? It would be
> > ideal if the gui had something like cute pictures of the instruments even
> > (remember this is for a 6 year old) in addition to the text.
>
> I put a little program changer thingie together in PD, cost me 10 minutes.
> Pictures would be possible, too, but they would take much longer, require
> some 'externals' and I never did use the graphical side of PD. Anyways, to
> use this, you'd have to install PD in a recent version, 0.35-test11+ or
> 0.34 should work, because it uses the rather new GUI objects. Look at
> www.pure-data.org for the FAQ, Miller Puckette, the PD author, has
> rpm-packages on his website, AFAIR.
>
> To use the pgmchanger.pd, you would start PD like:
>
> $ pd [ -nosound ] -midioutdev 2 pgmchanger.pd
>
> -nosound, because you don't need that, and the midioutdev options points to
> you timidity OSS-compatible device + 1 = /dev/midi1 in the example. More
> details are in my aconnect-Quicktoot, if you know this.
>
> I implemented only 32 programs, and most without names, but it's easy to
> extend the attached patch.

This is fantastic! I've been playing with pd for a week or so, mostly on
the recommendation of your posts and Quick Toot and I have been amazed at
what you can get it to do, but I had no idea that it had the capability to
put up a nice gui like that - all I've seen in the tutorials is the little
boxy screens. Impressive software.

Thanks for the patch - works great once I got the right aconnects made.
Actually I'm using alsa_patch_bay. I had to connect virmidi 0 to timidity
to get your patch to work. Does this sound right?