Re: [linux-audio-user] changing midi programs easily

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] changing midi programs easily
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 22:00:02 EEST

Hi Bill,
Bill Allen hat gesagt: // Bill Allen wrote:

> This is fantastic! I've been playing with pd for a week or so, mostly on
> the recommendation of your posts and Quick Toot and I have been amazed at
> what you can get it to do, but I had no idea that it had the capability to
> put up a nice gui like that - all I've seen in the tutorials is the little
> boxy screens. Impressive software.

The gui stuff is rather new. Two really fantastic gui examples to look at
are "LOOPOOL" [http://loopool.live.fm/filez/pd/] and "console"
[http://www.swiezinski.de/pd]. Both breathtaking! "console" even shows
self-modifying patches, amazing!

> Thanks for the patch - works great once I got the right aconnects made.
> Actually I'm using alsa_patch_bay. I had to connect virmidi 0 to timidity
> to get your patch to work. Does this sound right?

Yes, this might be. PD and midi devices is really a bit confusing, even to
me. If timidity creates a real OSS midi device under /dev/midi**, then pd
should be able to talk to it directly. But I couldn't get timidity running
with alsa-0.9 (didn't try very hard), so I can't test this.

Ciao,

--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______