Re: [linux-audio-user] A good MIDI sequencer.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A good MIDI sequencer.
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 21:01:32 EEST

mawali_AT_news.icns.com wrote:

> Hi
> Is there a midi sequencer that does not require me to have KDE and works.
> Looks like Rosegarden and noteedit both require me to have KDE (I do not
> know why).
>
> That leaves MusE, which I cannot compile/run with any compiler version
> with any QT, trust me I have tried em all. It usually does'nt compile and
> if it does, it does'nt run.
>
> I dont understand why it is so necessary to make things that complicated.
> If I am able to compile complicated stuff like wine, linux and mozilla why
> people keep blaming the compiler and toolkits.
>
> Jazz is the only thing I probably can use, but It does not seem to have a
> stave editor. I really dont need it but the piano roll does not cut it for
> me. I can live with even a simple one where i use vi to create a note
> file. (I wan to do polyrythmic and microtonal music eventually)
>
> Sorry I am a little frustrated, I have been trying to make one little midi
> file for months. Is there a sequencer (even not free, as beer or anything)
> that lets me do what I want instead of bloating my desktop the way the
> authors want.

don't whine about the authors' choice of toolkits. if you want a
ncurses or xlib-based sequencer, write one.
btw: you do need the kde libs to compile kde apps, but no one forces
you to *run* the program in kde - it will work with any wm you like,
perhaps missing some drag'n'drop features, but the core functions
should be there.

--
Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat
the yellow snow !