Re: Re: [linux-audio-user] New Linux User Seeks Soundcard Help

Subject: Re: Re: [linux-audio-user] New Linux User Seeks Soundcard Help
From: pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 09:55:38 EEST

('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) On 5/13/2002 - 00:45:02, John said:
> Hi everyone....
>
> I've been looking at the site referenced below, and
I'm not sure
> what to do; especially since it has not been updated in a
long time.
> Should I install ALSA first? It looks like there is a
driver there for
> "with ALSA" and one for "without ALSA". Am I right?

It depends what your intentions for the card are. Do you
just want to listen to music or are you intending to create?

For the former then the kernel drivers will see you right
so you should compile a kernel with soundcard support, for
the latter you should learn how to use ALSA as soon as you
can.

Around here you'll possibly get more help if you install
ALSA.

Before you attempt to install anything read the
documentation and if you have trouble check the mailing
list archives.

http://www.alsa-project.org

>Which should I use?
> If there is anyone on this list willing to help me
with this a bit
> (especially someone who knows about the ZA2 with Linux),
I would
> appreciate any assistance.
>

> Thanks!
> John
>

> Dave Phillips wrote:
>
> >John Shepherd wrote:
> >
> >> I setup Linux for the first time a few weeks ago.
I'm hoping to get
> >>my Zefiro ZA2 soundcard working, but don't know where
to begin. Well,
> >>I've looked at the Sound HOW-TO, but I'm still feeling
pretty lost.
> >> The HOW-TO lists the ZA2 as "supported, but NOT
RECOMMENDED" What
> >>does that mean? How can I at least give it a try? As
much info as I
> >>can find about the card is at http://www.zefiro.com
Unfortuntely, it
> >>is no longer being produced and the site only has
windows
> >>drivers.............
> >> As I said, I am really new at this. I would
appreciate any suggestions.

> >Hi, John:
> >
> > Peter Wahl has an old but still useful page on the ZA2
under Linux:

http://www.nostarch.com/lms.htm