[linux-audio-user] streaming audio and internet data priorities

Subject: [linux-audio-user] streaming audio and internet data priorities
From: Alex Timmer (mijn_troep_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 23:17:54 EEST

hi,

i love to listen alot to my favorite internet radio station. they
stream with max 64kbit/sec nicely in stereo out of my desktop
speakers.

but, each time when i'm browsing the web, reading my email or
downloading some programs or games from the internet WHILST listening
to the streaming audio, the streaming audio link is downgraded
gradually from 64kbit/sec to 11kbit/sec and sometimes even stalling
already because of a big webpage with alot of graphics that i'm
bandwidths after i stop most or all other internet activities.

NOW MY QUESTION:
is there some way to give the streaming audio data higher priority
than everything else that i down/upload from the internet? i dont
mind to wait for a page to load or to wait twice as long for a
download to finish, but i hate to hear my favorite radio station
turning into a horrible 'mono alarmclock' audio experience :)

i know there are hardware routers who can do this and if i'm not
mistaken its called Quality Of Service. but is there maybe a simple
software solution for my problem?

whenever i'm listening my favorite streaming audio station i would
really like to reserve half of my 128kbit/sec connection for it! =)

cheers from Prague, ALEX