Re: [linux-audio-user] Bandlimited oscillator plugins for LADSPA ('blop-0.1.0')

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Bandlimited oscillator plugins for LADSPA ('blop-0.1.0')
From: Mike Rawes (mike_rawes_AT_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 19:25:51 EEST

On Wed, 15 May 2002 11:06:14 -0400 (EDT)
Taybin Rutkin <trutkin_AT_physics.clarku.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 May 2002, Mike Rawes wrote:
>
> > My first foray into audio programming has yielded 12 new LADSPA
> > oscillator plugins!
>
> What are oscillators used for? Are they mostly used creatively?

They provide a harmonically rich sound source, as part of a wider setup.
You feed in frequency values, and a square/sawtooth/pulse/triangle wave
comes out the other end at that frequency. The triangle and pulse have
another control named 'pulse width' that changes the shape of the waves
produced.

What you do with the output is entirely up to you. Usually it is put
through a filter (as in analogue and related synthesizers), or at low
frequencies, could be used to modulate another signal, to produce
vibrato and similar effects.

> Or are they used for sound checks?

Maybe. The sawtooth contains all harmonics (well, up to one half of the
sample rate) at equal energies, which might be useful.

> Do they work best if a steady tone is going
> through them?

Their inputs can take whatever you give them. The resulting sound may or
be not to taste!

--
Myk