Re: [linux-audio-user] How to record soft synths from muse (or any sequencer)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] How to record soft synths from muse (or any sequencer)
From: Bill Allen (ballen_AT_mail.serve.com)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 20:50:45 EEST

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Dr. Matthias Nagorni wrote:

> On Thu, 16 May 2002, Bill Allen wrote:
>
> > For the tracks that use timidity this is no problem since timidity writes
> > wav files from midi tracks, but I'm bumfuddled as to how to do this with
> > the synths. My first thought was to feed the synths into jack input using
> > ecasound to read the jack output, but none of these synths support jack
> I hope to add Jack support in AlsaModularSynth soon. AFAIK SpiralSynthModular
> already supports Jack.

I have a very odd problem with SSM: it's response to midi input is
incredibly slow - around a quarter to a half a second. I don't have this
problem with any of the other synths that I regularly use (Alsa Modular
Synth, RTSynth, and SSM's little brother Spiral Synth). Anybody have any
insight into what this might be?

> > So my question is how do I get the synths to write their output to audio
> > files instead of to the soundcard? I suspect that I'm going to be
> Many soundcards support internal "loopback" capture of the PCM output.
> Takashi told me that AC97 loopback has quite low quality whereas SB Live /
> Audigy provides better quality. Just start a playback software and play a
> bit with alsamixer. Use spacebar to select activate/deactivate capture
> sources. You can e.g. use KWaveView (this does not require KDE BTW) to
> visualize the captured data. If you have found the settings for internal
> capture, you can use e.g. arecord to produce WAVs.
>
> Matthias

Thanks to all who replied. This was a good news, bad news, good news
story. (Good): I wasn't too dumb, but because (Bad): it can't be done
except that (Good): following the procedure using the "loopback" worked
nicely on my card (ymfpci). Using gamix and kwaveview I was able to find
the magic setting quite rapidly. The sound output sounded very good to me
(probably Takashi has younger/better ears than I :). Now my only problem
will be synching the output of the timidity tracks with the output of the
synth tracks using snd.

Bill