[linux-audio-user] Minidisk question

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Minidisk question
From: Lloyd R. Prentice (pai_AT_tiac.net)
Date: Sat May 18 2002 - 16:44:39 EEST

Hello,

My wife needs a way to record interviews for a book she is writing. I
did some research on the web and found that a number of journalists are
using minidisk recorders. I bought a Sony minidisk recorder and quality
condenser mike and am truly impressed with the minute size of the whole
package and the sound quality that I hear through the headphones.

Now... Sony seems to have crippled this product as a general-purpose
recording device. It looks to me like the only way I can get sound image
off the MD into a computer for editing, transcription, or other purposes
is through the headphone jack. The recorder does have a USB port.

Questions:

1) Does anyone know of Linux software that will let me transfer the
image from the MD recorder into the computer through the USB port?

2) Or is analog transfer through the headphone jack my only option?

3) The MD image is encoded in ATRAC3 format. Can this be converted into
other file formats? Can it be edited with conventional editing software?

Many thanks,

Lloyd R. Prentice