Re: [linux-audio-user] Minidisk question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Minidisk question
From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky ("M.)
Date: Sun May 19 2002 - 01:41:09 EEST

On Sat, 18 May 2002, Anahata wrote:

> On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 11:19:23AM -0700, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>
> > I have a Sony MDMP3PK2 Minidisc Recorder / MP3 player combo. According
> > the the manual, there is an *optical* cable you can buy which does
> > digital transfers to a sound card with the right optical port. I can dig
> > up the details if necessary. I don't know which sound cards support
> > this; I think my M-Audio Delta 66 does but I haven't played with it.
>
> I use a MidiMan (M-Audio) DIO2448 which has optical and coax S/PDIF in
> and out, and an optical cable from my Sony Minidisc deck. The
> DIO2448 seemed to be the cheapest card that would do this, but my saving
> was osffset by having to buy an OSS driver for it. The card
> uses a CMI8738 chip, but none of the generic CMI8738 drivers seem to set
> it up correctly for recording from the S/DIF input, and it requred some
> dialogue with OSS technical support and software changes before they
> could get it working themselves.
>
> However, the combination now works perfectly and I'm very pleased with it.

How about ALSA? Is there a driver there? I have the OSS purchased driver
for my Delta 66 and I don't like it at all. The documentation is lame,
which is inexcusable for a purchased product. Their tech support people
said "RTFM". :-) As far as I'm concerned, the OSS/Linux folks need to
WTFM.

--
M. Edward Borasky

znmeb_AT_borasky-research.net http://www.borasky-research.net/HarryIannis.htm The American people are tired of being told what the American people are tired of.