Re: [linux-audio-user] laptop advice needed

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] laptop advice needed
From: Tobiah (toby_AT_tobiah.org)
Date: Sat May 18 2002 - 17:25:19 EEST

> I have about US$1000 to spend

Boy, tight budget. If you can, verify that
someone has gotten the sound chip on the laptop
that you do buy to work in full duplex stereo
with ALSA drivers. I have a really nice Dell
from my company that has a quirky crystal
sound chipset. It is hard to get drivers to record
in stero from it, and the pitch of playback is
actually about a half-step off!

Fortunately, I can specify granular sampling
rates, and so I run at some strange rate like 45500
or something and then it is very close to on pitch,
but still I can't get it exact for want of a smaller
increment.

All in all, it hasn't been a pleasant sound
experience, and so I am looking into the digidesign
mbox, but that would be beyond your budget.

Also, try to get the laptop into a quiet room
to see whether it runs quietly. The hard drive
noise can be loud enough to bleed into quiet recordings.

Also, in my experience, the thinkpads will crunch floats
significantly faster than many other laptops with
equivalent clock speeds.

Tobiah