Re: [linux-audio-user] Minidisk question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Minidisk question
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Sun May 19 2002 - 11:57:29 EEST

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 03:41:09PM -0700, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> On Sat, 18 May 2002, Anahata wrote:
>
> > I use a MidiMan (M-Audio) DIO2448 which has optical and coax S/PDIF in
[snip]
> > was osffset by having to buy an OSS driver for it.
>
> How about ALSA? Is there a driver there?

According to the ALSA web site, the card is supported. But I couldn't
get ALSA working on the Debian system I had at the time, probably
because of my own incompetence and the need to upgrade a whole bunch of
packages and libraries to the right versions. As it was, Debian gave a
few compatibility headaches with the OSS drivers, but I was lucky enough
to find a path through that jungle.

It's possible I could make ALSA work on this Mandrake system, but the
OSS driver transferred effortlessly and if it ain't broke, don't fix
it....

> The documentation is lame,
> which is inexcusable for a purchased product.

Documentation? Yes, it's not too brilliant. I needed to get a job done
and once it worked for me, I wasn't too bothered about the fine points.

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk     -  01638 720444 (H)