Re: [linux-audio-user] Minidisk question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Minidisk question
From: Andrew Nesbit (alnesbit_AT_optushome.com.au)
Date: Sun May 19 2002 - 12:27:39 EEST

Frank Barknecht <barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de> writes:

> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky hat gesagt: // M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>
> > How about ALSA? Is there a driver there? I have the OSS purchased driver
> > for my Delta 66 and I don't like it at all. The documentation is lame,
> > which is inexcusable for a purchased product. Their tech support people
> > said "RTFM". :-) As far as I'm concerned, the OSS/Linux folks need to
> > WTFM.
>
> All Delta-Cards with the ICE cipset should work fine with ALSA 0.9. I
> only have the Audiophile, which is a kind of Delta but only 2-channel
> and it works fine. Others report the same for their higher end Deltas
> on the alsa lists.

Based on my personal experience, it is a bit of an overstatement to
say that ICE1712-based cards work "fine" with ALSA 0.9, the most
noticeable problems being that the OSS mixer emulation does not work
and that using the monitor mixer with outputs set to "0dB" gives a
harsh clipping-like effect. I also get a short burst of noise at the
very start and end of playback (but I don't know if this is peculiar
to this driver or card).

Andrew.