Re: [linux-audio-user] ethernet audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ethernet audio
From: Mark Constable (markc_AT_renta.net)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 15:09:30 EEST

Kasper Souren wrote:
> Anahata wrote:
>
>> Isn't there a problem with ethernet because the response time is not
>> guaranteed? Or in practice is it used in such a way that the likelyhood
>> of losing samples because of multiple ethernet collisions is negligible?

I can't imagine ethernet being all that worse than USB
in this respect and the headroom for 100mghtz ethernet
is a fair bit higher than whatever protocols flow over
USB.

> I just got a link to a pdf document with some more information...
> http://cnmat.cnmat.berkeley.edu/ICMC2000/pdf/connectivity-processor.pdf
>
> They don't mention the collisions in the article, but it's interesting
> though.
>
> By the way, I think it's strange that it's now 2002, and there's still
> nothing on the audio-market that uses ethernet...

  http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/story/0,24195,3363342,00.html
  http://www.chipcenter.com/circuitcellar/february02/c0202su5.htm
  http://labs.gibson.com/aboutus.html

It is mentioned that it is an open source standard. eth cards
are cheap, cat5 cable is cheap, about the only drawback I can
see are the connectors not being robust enough for headbanging
on stage. Mind you, wear a WAP (wireless access point) device
somewhere handy and things could get interesting (assuming
this protocol could be wrapped in UDP or TCP IP packets).

--markc