Re: [linux-audio-user] usb midi interface-recommendations?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] usb midi interface-recommendations?
From: Joseph Zitt (jzitt_AT_metatronpress.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 10:38:34 EEST

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 03:40:26PM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> That is probably a problem with your kernel being out of date or too
> advanced for the usb_midi code.
>
> Which kernel are you running?

2.4.18-3, I believe, out-of-the-box as it came with RedHat 7.3. It
took a few tries to get it working at all, due to RedHat installers
bombing out, but I *think* this one's a vanilla kernel -- IIRC, I
didn't have to do anything, at last, to the kernel to get the USB
audio running.

> It could also be symptomatic of not having the kernel headers installed.

Hmm. I believe I did install that package. (IIRC, it's turned into
gcc_headers or something like it, replacing kernel_headers.) But since
the install failed toward the end (I had already put the 3rd of the 3
CDs in), it may have not gotten installed.

> Either way you either ned to get the headers packeage for your distro or
> install a new kernel from scratch.
>
> Personally I did the former and then decided that the latter served my
> purpose better. Especially because we still have to do so much with the
> Kernel in regards to sound.

Hmmm... not sure what installing "from scratch" would involve. Just going
through "make xconfig" and the rest of that dance had a whole lot of
puzzling aspects as it was.

--
| jzitt_AT_metatronpress.com                   http://www.josephzitt.com/ |
| http://www.metatronpress.com/jzitt/   http://www.mp3.com/josephzitt/ |