Re: [linux-audio-user] usb midi interface-recommendations?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] usb midi interface-recommendations?
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 11:33:43 EEST

Joseph Zitt wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 03:40:26PM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>

>>That is probably a problem with your kernel being out of date or too
>>advanced for the usb_midi code.
>>
>>Which kernel are you running?
>

> 2.4.18-3, I believe, out-of-the-box as it came with RedHat 7.3. It
> took a few tries to get it working at all, due to RedHat installers
> bombing out, but I *think* this one's a vanilla kernel -- IIRC, I
> didn't have to do anything, at last, to the kernel to get the USB
> audio running.

I find it hard to believe that redhat would ship an unpatched kernel. IMO :)

>>It could also be symptomatic of not having the kernel headers installed.
>

> Hmm. I believe I did install that package. (IIRC, it's turned into
> gcc_headers or something like it, replacing kernel_headers.) But since
> the install failed toward the end (I had already put the 3rd of the 3
> CDs in), it may have not gotten installed.

you can check it with rpm -q kernel-headers or something like that.

>>Either way you either ned to get the headers packeage for your distro or
>>install a new kernel from scratch.
>>
>>Personally I did the former and then decided that the latter served my
>>purpose better. Especially because we still have to do so much with the
>>Kernel in regards to sound.
>

> Hmmm... not sure what installing "from scratch" would involve. Just going
> through "make xconfig" and the rest of that dance had a whole lot of
> puzzling aspects as it was.

You are right that it is puzzling the first few time you do it and there
are people on this list who swear it has become obsolete due to rpms,
but I have found that installing the kernel is a very straight forward
process once you understand how and extremely handy to know how to do.

The lowlatency howto has a good explanation of what to do and in the
process you can learn about installing the low latency patch

You can find the most up to date version as part of the LAU-guide (see
below). I use it myself occasionally as a reference and it has beeen
thoroughly tested as a guide.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur