Re: [linux-audio-user] basic Alsa question (I think)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] basic Alsa question (I think)
From: Mark Constable (markc_AT_renta.net)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 09:34:41 EEST

Philip Nelson wrote:

> What I cant figure out how to do is to have Jazz++, brahms, or MusE play
> through timidity.

This information is courtesy of Bill Allen <ballen at mail.serve.com> who
was kind enough to answer my plea for help. Timidity needs to be run in
server mode with settings similar to this

timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os -EFreverb=0 2>&1 &

The latest TiMidity++-2.12.0-pre1 built with "./configure --with-alsaseq"
is needed and is available from here...

http://www.goice.co.jp/member/mo/timidity/dist/download.html

Then run MusE and in Config/Midi Ports, it has a list of channels and the
output device associated with that channel. You should see Timidity as
one of the choices. Choose that for, say, channel 1. Then, in the Track
dialog, you've got to specify the output device for each track. This is a
pain if you're only using one device for all tracks (maybe there's a way
to specify that, but I don't know it), but in general it is good because
you can specify, say, timidity for the drum, and piano tracks, then one
or more soft synths for other tracks. Be sure to run MusE as root or suid
with priority at 98 as in "muse -RP98".

> #2 - There doesn't seem to be tempo controls in timidity other than a command
> line, is this correct? Jazz++ does have tempo and I'm not sure about brahms

The latest MusE from CVS is probably the most comfortable way to control
and edit MIDI files.

> #3 - In mastertracks, I could loop a section of a sequence just by clicking a
> checkbox. I can't seem to find anything like that in any of the sequencer
> programs I have looked at so far for linux.

MusE definately has a Cubase-like loop button.

--markc