[linux-audio-user] basic Alsa question (I think)

Subject: [linux-audio-user] basic Alsa question (I think)
From: Philip Nelson (panmanphil_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 15 2002 - 17:10:44 EEST

I have been struggling to get up to speed on all the choices available to me
for sound and midi in the linux world. Now that I have found this list, maybe
I can get speed up a little. Here are a few midi setup questions that if
answered will get me quite a bit further along the way. Here is my setup.

Suse 8.0
Creative PCI128 sound card with joystick cable adapter for external midi
external old hardware based synths (dx7, tx81z, Roland GR-50)
external Mac running mastertracks pro (until I get my linux setup working)

So far I can play wav etc with xmms.
I have gotten aRts to produce sound but now have the artsserver turned off
Timidity++ can play midi files
with an acontrol -i 64:0 128:0 command, I can use the external sequencer to
play through Timidity -iA (alsa server)

What I cant figure out how to do is to have Jazz++, brahms, or MusE play
through timidity.

#2 - There doesn't seem to be tempo controls in timidity other than a command
line, is this correct? Jazz++ does have tempo and I'm not sure about brahms

#3 - In mastertracks, I could loop a section of a sequence just by clicking a
checkbox. I can't seem to find anything like that in any of the sequencer
programs I have looked at so far for linux.

TIA