Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: alsa and thinkpad 600E

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: alsa and thinkpad 600E
From: jordan muscott (jordan_AT_no-future.com)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 20:51:44 EEST

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 17:52:01 +0100
iriXx <m_AT_irixx.org> wrote:

>i think im tempted to have a go at installing the Cooker as an upgrade,
>
>it seems simpler rather than tearing more hair out over config,
>although part of me is determined not to let this beat me ;-)... so i
>will try the other options for /etc/devfsd.conf, this looks
>interesting... and deleting the original 0.5 modules...

the suggestion to edit /etc/devfsd.conf was made ( i believe ), because
you said you were running mandrake, and the default mandrake kernel runs
devfs by default. I got round this on my mandrake box by disabling
devfs, and then installing alsa 0.9 as per usual. So editing
/etc/devfsd.conf won't be any use to you unless you enabled devfs when
you built your 2.5 kernel.

just incase you were wondering - devfs ( as far as i understand ) dynamically creates all your device files in /dev/ . You can probably tell if it is running by executing 'top' and seeing if it shows up as a process. If you are running it - you will see a line in your lilo.conf that sais something like:

append=" hdc=ide-scsi devfs=nomount"

to disable it, change 'nomount' to 'mount', run lilo and then reboot. You can then complete your alsa installation by running the ./snddevices script , which creates the necessary device files in /dev/ , instead of editing /etc/devfsd.conf.

hope this reply makes any sense,
jordan.