Re: [linux-audio-user] Anyone heard rumors about ProTools??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Anyone heard rumors about ProTools??
From: Gary Counsellor (sineigs_AT_eskimo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 18:01:41 EEST

On Tuesday 25 June 2002 09:29, Dave Phillips wrote:
> mawali_AT_news.icns.com wrote:

> This sort of thing always starts me thinking... Let's say Pro Tools for
> Linux was available next week: How many readers on this list will go out
> immediately and purchase it (assuming you have the required hardware)

I believe even if PT et.al. where available for Linux it would be hardly
profitable for those same companies. I've used PT, Logic Audio, Cakewalk
etc. for years in my business. I finally switched totally to Linux about two
years ago. Those programs, running on windows, in the long run where not
much more stable than what we're using now. Audio App companies like to
blame MS for much of what happens and MS is absolutely no help. (believe me
when I say I knew how to handle a MSWindows box). There for a while Mac
wasn't any better with some of the apps designed for them. Both systems and
apps were usuable but far from reliable. (Gimme a RADAR station any day)
I'm sure there would be those that buy but I for one would not be interested.
I already have boxes of licensed software for windows that are loaded on my
kids dual boots. Picture 10 and 12 year olds with Logic Audio, CakeWalk,
etc. But they don't touch any of the computers in the studio. It's pure
Linux and Pure OpenSource GPL for me.
Not just for using but I enjoy helping apps come along the evolution trail.
Look how many freeware and shareware apps there are for windows....
I used to use many of them in place of the mega-apps that I had and were
already loaded.
        I make much more progress now than I ever used to on the other platforms and
enjoy working with the community.

--
Gary Counsellor
http://www.musician2000.com