Re: [linux-audio-user] USB sound

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] USB sound
From: Emiliano Grilli (emillo_AT_libero.it)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 13:09:01 EEST

Alle 21:15, mercoledì 26 giugno 2002, Alexander Carôt ha scritto:
> Hej to all,
>
> I'm running Linux on an iBook that has no soundin jack so I have to use
> USB.
>
> Which device can you recommend ? Is there firewire support too ?

I don't know about firewire, but I use an iMic (which is relatively cheap)
with the audio module of the kernel (2.4.16) on a SuSE 7.3 and it works
well: the sound quality is good both in playback and recording.

> I thought about buying an external USB device but I wonder how comes
> that there are cheap microphones for win and mac in the stores that can
> be connected to USB directly ?
>
> Could that work for f.e. ALSA as well ?

I don't think ALSA has an USB audio module, but I heard recently of someone
porting the usbmidi driver to ALSA, and I'm sure that in the future there
will be such a driver for audio in ALSA.

> Thanks
>
> -- A l e x

HTH

--