Re: [linux-audio-user] USB sound

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] USB sound
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sat Jun 29 2002 - 21:18:52 EEST

I have moved this to alsa-devel as it seems more relevant to discuss there.

Speaker to Vegetables wrote:
> Not to be overly pedantic or anything, but putting stuff in the kernel
> that doesn't have to be there would be the unprofessional thing.

But it will be a driver module right?

> Stuff
> that goes in the kernel is harder to install and usually harder to use.

huh?

> More importantly, bugs in code that goes in the OS kernel can easily
> crash the whole computer, while userland code seldom crashes anything
> beyond its own little process.

I don't think it will be included in the kernel until it is sufficiently
tested and then if there is a bug it will be found much quicker.

>The golden reason for putting anything
> in a kernel-level driver is when that's the only way to get it to
> perform well enough.

Good point but then if then we shouldn't have included ALSA if that is
true. The ALSA code base is large and having the usb midi module as a
userland app seems to me to go against the precendant set by the rest of
the modules.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur