[linux-audio-user] [Fwd: Re: [Alsa-devel] unresolved symbols]

Subject: [linux-audio-user] [Fwd: Re: [Alsa-devel] unresolved symbols]
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 07:30:53 EEST

Hi. Can people wiht more experience in midi please help this guy out?

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

attached mail follows:

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> > Plenty of people are doing just his in Linux. Have a look at the Quick > Toots for info on setting up midi. They are part of the LAU guide. (see > below). >

Yet another doc =) What do i read after this one?

OK I give it another try.

Can you tell if external MIDI works with SB Live. If not, does it work with a SB16 with a game port?

If it doesn't work witn any of the cards. What is needed to connect the MIDI to the serial port? Is it just the driver and cable plugged into the serial port?

First i tried 0.9.0rc2, it never worked. Now have alsa from the cvs. everything works except external MIDI. playmidi or pmidi -p 64:0 some-file.mid is playing something ( at least the prompt is gone for some time ) but nothing sounds anywhere. I got it working mostly from guessing and reverse engineering and not reading the docs at all. the docs are only confusing and there is not two docs saying the same things but it is a lot written in them.

Which drivers do the cvs version use? /dev/sequencer, /dev/midi or /dev/snd/seq, /dev/snd/midiC0D0? How can i see if something hapens at some /dev/file? would "dd if=/dev/snd/seq bs=1" show something?

If i write a little C prog to listen to the midi port, should it read /dev/sequencer, /dev/midi, /dev/snd/seq? If i write a C prog that should sound something at the keyboard which /dev file should it write to?

Alsa-conf didn't compile and i have seen several versions about what to write in /etc/modules.conf. What do i actually write in /etc/modules.conf?

Am i totally worng? Thanks Bo