Re: [linux-audio-user] [Fwd: Re: [Alsa-devel] unresolved symbols]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [Fwd: Re: [Alsa-devel] unresolved symbols]
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 00:04:30 EEST

> Subject: Re: [Alsa-devel] unresolved symbols
> Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 19:48:39 +0200
> From: Bo Forslund <bo.forslund_AT_abc.se>
> To: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com>

> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>

> > Plenty of people are doing just his in Linux. Have a look at the Quick
> > Toots for info on setting up midi. They are part of the LAU guide. (see
> > below).
> >

> Yet another doc =) What do i read after this one?
>
> OK I give it another try.
>
> Can you tell if external MIDI works with SB Live. If not, does it work with a SB16
> with a game port?

yes, it works with the alsa drivers. don't know about oss, but i
wouldn't bother, the alsa support is superior.

> If it doesn't work witn any of the cards. What is needed to connect the MIDI to the
> serial port? Is it just the driver and cable plugged into the serial port?

no idea.

> First i tried 0.9.0rc2, it never worked. Now have alsa from the cvs. everything works
> except external MIDI. playmidi or pmidi -p 64:0 some-file.mid is playing something
> ( at least the prompt is gone for some time ) but nothing sounds anywhere. I got it
> working mostly from guessing and reverse engineering and not reading the docs at all.
> the docs are only confusing and there is not two docs saying the same things but it
> is a lot written in them.

alsa has worked for me since 0.9.0beta[very early], including MIDI. must
be a config problem on your part.

> Which drivers do the cvs version use? /dev/sequencer, /dev/midi or /dev/snd/seq,
> /dev/snd/midiC0D0? How can i see if something hapens at some /dev/file? would "dd
> if=/dev/snd/seq bs=1" show something?

/dev/sequencer and /dev/midi are oss compatibility devices. all generic
alsa devs are under /dev/snd/ .

> If i write a little C prog to listen to the midi port, should it read /dev/sequencer,
> /dev/midi, /dev/snd/seq? If i write a C prog that should sound something at the
> keyboard which /dev file should it write to?

get some alsa docs and read from the alsa devices. or take a look at
another open-source app and rip off the relevant code.

> Alsa-conf didn't compile and i have seen several versions about what to write in
> /etc/modules.conf. What do i actually write in /etc/modules.conf?

here's my setup. i'm using 2 soundcards, but you get the idea.

#generic alsa modules
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371

options snd-emu10k1 snd_enable=1 snd_index=0
options snd-ens1371 snd_enable=1 snd_index=1
options snd snd_cards_limit=2 snd_major=116

post-install snd /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
pre-remove snd /usr/sbin/alsactl store

post-install snd-seq /usr/bin/sfxload /usr/share/sounds/sf2/8MBGMSFX.SF2

#this is oss emulation stuff
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss