Re: [linux-audio-user] [Fwd: Re: [Alsa-devel] unresolved symbols]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [Fwd: Re: [Alsa-devel] unresolved symbols]
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 07:53:44 EEST

Bo Forslund <bo.forslund_AT_abc.se> wrote:

> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>

> > Plenty of people are doing just his in Linux. Have a look at the Quick
> > Toots for info on setting up midi. They are part of the LAU guide. (see
> > below).
>
> Yet another doc =) What do i read after this one?
>
> OK I give it another try.
>
> Can you tell if external MIDI works with SB Live. If not, does it work with a SB16
> with a game port?

Haven't tried either of these cards but have got external midi to work with
es1371. This required the use of an external Midi box which plugged into
the games port. The external Midi box was built from a kit which was very
similar to this one:

    http://www.usyd.edu.au/su/anaes/rpa/Loadsmanextras/PCmidi.html

Unfortunately Midi in did not work with the schematic as is. I therefore
modified the schematic so that I cut the connection marked "Joystick
Port Pin 15", added another inverter to the output of U1 pin 2 and
used this new inverter output to drive "Joystick Port Pin 15".

> If it doesn't work witn any of the cards. What is needed to connect the MIDI to the
> serial port? Is it just the driver and cable plugged into the serial port?

All the PC serial port -> Midi boxes I know of require external hardware to
convert PC standard serial to Midi.

<snip>

> If i write a little C prog to listen to the midi port, should it read /dev/sequencer,
> /dev/midi, /dev/snd/seq?

If you just want to write a midi dumper, then you should read /dev/midi*. The
others are for scheduling midi packets for playing at some future time.

> If i write a C prog that should sound something at the
> keyboard which /dev file should it write to?

I was able to do Sysex dumps in both directions using

        cat /dev/midi00 >file.syx

and

        cat file.syx >/dev/midi00

Hope this helps.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,  because
that would also stop you from doing clever things."  -- Doug Gwyn