Re: [linux-audio-user] [Fwd: Re: [Alsa-devel] unresolved symbols]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [Fwd: Re: [Alsa-devel] unresolved symbols]
From: jordan muscott (jordan_AT_no-future.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 13:05:46 EEST

>> Can you tell if external MIDI works with SB Live. If not, does it
>work with a SB16> with a game port?
>
>Haven't tried either of these cards but have got external midi to work
>with es1371. This required the use of an external Midi box which
>plugged into the games port. The external Midi box was built from a kit
>which was very similar to this one:
>
> http://www.usyd.edu.au/su/anaes/rpa/Loadsmanextras/PCmidi.html
>
>Unfortunately Midi in did not work with the schematic as is. I
>therefore modified the schematic so that I cut the connection marked
>"Joystick Port Pin 15", added another inverter to the output of U1 pin
>2 and used this new inverter output to drive "Joystick Port Pin 15".

this would be suitable if you need multiple midi outs. To use the midi
on most soundcards with external midi kit, you just need to plug a cable
from the games port to your external midi kit. You can buy such a cable
from most electronics shops ( in the uk read Tandy, Maplins etc - dont
know the names of such shops abroad...) You can then chain a few
external midi boxes together by making use of their 'thru' sockets. This
is, IMO, the easiest way of using the external midi on your soundcard (
SB Live will be fine like this ).

jordan.