Re: [linux-audio-user] recorder for streaming audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] recorder for streaming audio
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 13:58:53 EEST

Dr. Matthias Nagorni wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Mark Constable wrote:
>

>>It uses the loopback device from ALSA 0.5. I'm also looking
>>for some method to save out a wav file for whatever I am
>>listening to... no luck so far and I'd rather not complicate
>

> Most soundcards offer an internal loopback from which you can capture.
> Just select the appropriate capture source (soundcards have very
> different names for this) e.g. with alsamixer and check the capture settings.
> As far as I remember SB PCI calls it "Mix" and for a SB Live, it's
> "Wave". SB Live has an additional "Wave Capture" slider to control the
> level of the internal capture.

The problem is that the loopback device would need it's own pcm channel
if you want to record from it using arecord.

Another thing that could be done is some magic with .asoundrc. There is
a copy plugin which will copy from one pcm to another. Combine this with
the file and slave plugins and you could conceivable create a copy of
the pcm stream that gets sent to a file through the slave device.

In fact the slave device may be redundant. I'll look into it more.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur