Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 14:02:11 EEST

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Also I need to confirm my system is running at lowlatency. I am using
> 2.4.19-rc1-ac2 which someone recently said has all the low latency
> patches included.
>
> What is the correct way to turn on lowlatency? echo something?

cat /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency should yield "1". if not,
echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency.

if the file is not there, you either don't have the patch, or you did
not choose to have the sysctl, in which case i *think* it is always on.
run make menuconfig on your current kernel sources, and see whether the
lowlatency options are there...

> Plus I should hdparm.

oooh yes. turn on dma mode. iirc it's hdparm -d 1, but do read the
manpage please. hdparm can eat your disk and frighten your little sister
if you get it wrong... dma tuning is said to be safe, but don't get
ideas when you see all those other nifty tweaks :)