Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 00:53:30 EEST

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 04:14:06AM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>>I have had problems getting jackd to work but they appear to be related
>>to my system not the driver. I haven't had the energy to investigate yet
>>as it means lots of alt+sysreq+b which is pretty frustrating and time
>>consuming.
>

> Patrick,
>
> there was a note on ardour-dev earlier that jackd's interface to
> alsa can only handle 16-bit or 24-in-32-bit samples; and further
> that support was planned for the true-24-bit format used by some
> USB devices, but it's not there yet. Maybe that's your problem?

I think that was in reference to alsa not jack. ALSA has the support now
which Paul must've missed. The problem is definitely from my system.
Last time I tried using jack+ardour+my usb card I got a perfect clear
signal until I did something in mozilla then the signal became distorted
  and when I moved the ardour editor to another screen everything froze.

I noticed that I also get xruns with my other 16bit cards which are
working correctly. They are directly related to movements in xfree. I
just noticed that I am running 9 partitions on my desktop which probably
has a lot to do with things. I need to confirm that I'm using the memory
on my video card and not the cpu. Any clues how to do that?

Also I need to confirm my system is running at lowlatency. I am using
2.4.19-rc1-ac2 which someone recently said has all the low latency
patches included.

What is the correct way to turn on lowlatency? echo something?

Plus I should hdparm.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur