Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux Multitrack Recording - HW & SW

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux Multitrack Recording - HW & SW
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 03:05:00 EEST

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 07:17:39PM -0700, Jason MacDermott wrote:
> Have you recorded 4-tracks simultaneously with the Delta 66,
> and how have you found it? The Delta 1010 sounds like it is just
> what I am looking for, but I will have to do some more research.

Yes, check the alsa-user mailing list archives for
reports of success or problems with any card you want to buy.

As for the Delta 66: Yes, I've recorded 4 mono streams
simultaneously (dumping old 4-track cassette recordings
into Ardour). It works reliably, once you find a good setting
for starting jackd (which seems to vary a bit with
different hardware setups and even with new versions
of jackd, as jack is still not stable).

> Yes, that's pretty much what I'd like it to be able to do. I'd like to
> have the option of recording a live band at once, for which I'd
> need 8 tracks. All the other electronic manipulation after the
> fact is where the fun will be, and that's where I'm anxious to use
> Linux and all the interesting software that's being made. But I need
> some way of getting the basic tracks down to start with. ecasound
> sounds great, from what people have been telling me, but Ardour is
> a little closer to what I'm familiar with (ProTools, etc.).

That's the idea. But ardour is still in rapid development; you'll find
a lot of things either not implemented at all, or buggy.
But it's almost to the point where I can really work with it. :)

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"