Re: [linux-audio-user] help on Ceres3

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] help on Ceres3
From: Mauro Graziani (haknam_AT_monrif.net)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 05:36:39 EEST

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 19:54, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Mauro Graziani wrote:
>
> > It seems that ceres3 creates an invalid aiff according to sox.
>
> Hi, Mauro:
>
> Can you place the AIFF file somewhere I can retrieve it ? Some
> versions of SoX are broken for AIFF files: what version are you running

Hi Dave, thanks for your interest.
and let me thank you for your book. It has been very appreciated by my
students and myself at the public school of music (we call it
Conservatorio) in Verona, Italy, where I teach electronic music (we have
the italian translation printed by Hops Libri). Starting with your book
to do music works, some of my students have moved from windoze to linux
for everyday works also (other than music) and this is always a good
thing.

Ok, let's speak about Ceres3.
Well, you're right, it's a SoX problem (more exactly, SoX don't likes
the way Ceres3 build the aiff file)
I tried to load the Ceres3 generated file (the one SoX claims to be
broken) into the mxv sound editor. It loads and plays well and I can
hear the transformation I expected.
Then I saved this file from mxv into a new aiff file. This last file
plays good with SoX.
Result: SoX likes the aiff generated by mxv but don't likes the Ceres3
aiff.

Believe me, I could never imagine a SoX problem with aiff. I always use
SoX to convert wav to aiff for loading into csound function generator
with no problem. So SoX was good for me. I suspected the new
libaudiofile that is different from the one supplied with Ceres3
tarball, so I was thinking to try a static link to force the use of old
library.

The sox version was 12.17.1. I installed the latest 12.17.3 and it's ok.

Thank you v.m. And thanks from my students for your book.
Best regards

--
 Mauro
Universe is *not* user-friendly.