Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA and Debian

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA and Debian
From: Conrad Parker (conrad_AT_vergenet.net)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 11:45:05 EEST

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 05:33:31PM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Anahata wrote:
>
> > Did I install the wrong thing or in the wrong order? (there's lots of
> > packages with 'ALSA' in the name)
> >

> Quite possibly. If you are not comfortable with installing software in
> Linux/Debian then you will probably have problems at first.

er, no I think the problem is that alsaconf is severely broken on
debian :(

I don't know if this is a problem on other distros, but the bug page:

  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=pkg&data=alsaconf

lists 5 'important' bugs (including "does not work with 0.9") and lots of
'normal' bugs (including 'will not configure more than one sound card')
and creating the wrong options for a bunch of popular chips, including
emu10k1 and i8x0.

I was bitten by these recently too -- a config program creating severely
wrong files can be worse than no config program at all :(

perhaps debian won't worry about 0.9 until its declared stable (1.0) ?
or, will AGNULA come to the rescue?

Conrad.