Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA and Debian

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA and Debian
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 12:34:51 EEST

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 05:33:31PM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> To understand why we mostly recommend ALSA is to understand the
> philosophy of using GNU software.

No problem there, that's why I prefer Debian.
I use OSS simply because it's the only thing that works and I have an
immediate and continuing need for sound hardware that works!

> You should also know that a lot of the
> top audio developers are switching to ALSA/JACK so that should tell
> you where the cutting edge work is being done.

[snip]
> You may not have the kernel headers installed. I don't know if they are
> seperated in Debian packages.
>
> One way to get around that problem is to learn how to install the kernel
> from scratch.

BTDT. I have compiled kernels for other installations including
patching in some experimental Tekram SCSI drivers, for a server at work,
and the daily tape backup depends on it! So I do know what I'm doing
*some* of the time....

I also installed a standard 2.4.18 kernel on my home system to replace the
one that went in from the installation CD, and had to install kernel
headers to get OSS to install properly.

Admittedly I haven't tried nstalling ALSA again since loading the
kernel headers, but I don't have a strong conviction that it will help.

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444