Re: [linux-audio-user] A new modular ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A new modular ?
From: jordan muscott (jordan_AT_no-future.com)
Date: Sun Jul 21 2002 - 03:28:29 EEST

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 14:56:18 +0200
Frank Barknecht <barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>Linium hat gesagt: // Linium wrote:
>
>> A linux version of this free (like beer) audio modular seems planned:
>>
>> http://www.syntiac.com/synfactory.html
>>
>> Well i cannot test the win version but i have been told that the sound is
>> pretty good for analog modelling.
>
>At a first glance this looks very similar to Spiral Synth Modular, but
>isn't "free" enough, yet, except the beer ;)

not only is it not free enough yet - im not entirely sure a linux port really has the authors full support. i quote from the website:

"Those Linux boys and girls need to get a little focus on things. Don't YELL Linux is good, make it good! Because currently it sucks big time. Not the system itself but all support around it. Why are there 8 different sound driver layers? Why are there multiple desktop managers (incompatible on API level)? Why can't I set a thread to realtime level without becomming setuid root? Why do I have to mount a floppy before I can read it?"

fair enough. everyones entitled to their own opinion....even if they are wrong ;)

(drunk)jordan