[linux-audio-user] "File size limit exceeded" (2gb)

Subject: [linux-audio-user] "File size limit exceeded" (2gb)
From: Robert Brown (sbg_AT_twcny.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 01:12:13 EEST

Hello,
I keep getting this error and I can't seem to get to the bottom of it ;/
What I am trying to accomplish is to join 2 .wav files into one file that
exceeds 2 GB.

I am running Gentoo Linux w/ 2.4.19-pre7 kernel, OSS Pro Drivers, and have
attempted to join the files with Audacity and Ecasound.

At first I thought that the filesystem (ext3) was the issue, so I switched
to reiserfs. Then I suspected maybe Audacity somehow had a 2GB limit, so I
tried joing the files using Ecasound.. still to no avail ;(

Next I searched the web and came up with a suggestion to change the values
in /proc/sys/fs/file-max, but no dice. I created these wav files using the
"record" utility (included w/ OSS Pro) to capture a DAT recording from the
SPDIF input. The wav files are otherwise fine. Oh.. and I do have Gigs and
Gigs of Freespace.

Also worth noting is that I can create a file larger than 2GB using:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/tmp/2gb_test_file

So it seems that its not the filesystem.

Any ideas?

>HW Info that may be relevant:
AMD2000+
Asus A7v333/kt333
768Mb DDR333
80Gb Maxtor ATA133 (Ext3)
60Gb Maxtor ATA133 (ReiserFS)
M-Audio Delta DiO 2496 (SemiPro Soundcard)
C-Media 8738 (Onboard Sound)

--
Robert Brown