Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff
From: Ross Vandegrift (ross_AT_willow.seitz.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 18:16:41 EEST

> This brings up a question I've been meaning to ask for a while: are there
> any mainstream (non-specialized) distributions that ship the kernel with
> the low-latency patch already in there? Are there downsides to the
> low-latency patch that prevent the desktop-oriented distributions from
> including it?

The big one, I think, is that it isn't included in the main
distribution. This is a problem, because it's almost always out of date
with the current kernel tree.

I don't know off hand why it isn't in the main kernel tree... you might
hit up marc.theaimsgroup.com and search on linux-kernel to find out.
There is a perception that the low-latency decreases system throughput
for disk operations and server-type stuff, but it turned out to be
hogwash.

> If not, should we be lobbying them to do so?

Perhaps, but it would have to be one of the distributions that ships
very patched kernels. Slackware, for instance, is a bad choice, since
Patrick insists on shipping as pristine a kernel as is safe for data.

> I ask this because while I rebuilt my kernel a bunch of times in the dark
> days of Slackware circa 1994 and downloading 31 floppies to get a basic
> install, I haven't done so in 4 or 5 years and if I can avoid it for the
> rest of my life, I will. It is a pain in the ass and breaks my RPM
> database.

It does? Most distros (sorry, I speak for Slackware and Debian, dunno
bout RedHat type stuff) don't create packages that depend on a kernel
package because soooo many people build their own kernels. Debian tries
to manage kernels with it's make-kpkg, but it's enough to make you barf.

I wouldn't be afraid to give it a go, especially if you've done it
before. Just build and install a new kernel next to the distro kernel.
If that breaks RPM, I wonder how useful it really is...

> know a guy who runs a recording studio who is jonesing to get into Linux
> for audio stuff and what's preventing him (aside from lack of Event
> support as he's a big Event user) is knowing that he won't be able to just
> install and work at his usual level.

But this is a ridiculous expectation. He expects to install a
completely different operating system, with completely different audio
applications, and be able to hit the ground running? Forget compiling
the kernel, what about learning to use new audio applications? In any
major system shift, there is going to be a significant learning curve.
People who don't want that learning curve need to stick to what they
know.

Ross Vandegrift
ross_AT_willow.seitz.com