Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff
From: Rob Kudla (lau_AT_kudla.org)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 18:56:24 EEST

On Thursday 25 July 2002 11:16, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> But this is a ridiculous expectation. He expects to install a
> completely different operating system, with completely different audio
> applications, and be able to hit the ground running? Forget compiling
> the kernel, what about learning to use new audio applications? In any

Surely you can't believe it's as great a leap from Cool Edit to Audacity
(or Ardour, once it gets packagable) as it is from Cool Edit to patching,
configuring and building a kernel from source at a command line. I think
this is one of the great fallacies in the Linux audio world currently --
that musical users of other OSes are as sophisticated (or as nerdy) as we
are.

Requiring a kernel rebuild before doing anything useful with audio under
Linux accomplishes only one thing: musicians who try it telling other
musicians that Linux sucks as an OS for music. It'd be like buying a
Hammerfall board and discovering you had to cut a few traces and solder a
chip on before it would record audio. No one would buy Hammerfall in that
case because it requires expertise far outside the skillset normally
possessed by a musician.

> People who don't want that learning curve need to stick to what they
> know.

We're talking someone who went from ProTools to Cool Edit Pro in a week,
but not someone who's a big command line user presently. That is an
acceptable learning curve. Taking my partner from Outlook to Evolution
and Explorer to Konqueror was an acceptable learning curve. Taking
someone from Windows or the Mac to patching kernels is *not* an acceptable
learning curve for anyone but people like you and me.

Rob