Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff
From: John Lazzaro (lazzaro_AT_CS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 22:18:35 EEST

> At this point, the Linux kernel isn't suitable for realtime work without
> the lowlatency patch.

This really overstates the case -- if you're doing soft-synth work
(as opposed to DAW work where disk access is needed), if the app
uses SCHED_FIFO mode, and if sane choices are made the applications
being run for window management, the Linux 2.2 series works fine.
I do real-time sfront demos with low-latency audio input/audio output
and low-latency MIDI input/audio output all the time, and get excellent
results. I do run a pretty sparse system (twm, minimal daemons, etc),
but its far from "single-user mode with a console" ...

                                                                --jl