Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff
From: jordan muscott (jordan_AT_no-future.com)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 03:16:19 EEST

one thing about this discussion that has just stuck me - is that part of
the comparison between windows and linux is this case is unfair. For
example:

Question: Under which OS is it easier to get a low latency kernel for
use with audio applcations?

Answer: Er....... Well WindowsXP of course - all you do is double click on
the 'low latency kernel' icon in control panel.

Ok - In general i admit that although some linux dists are becoming a
breeze to use on the desktop via KDE/Gnome etc , you probably still have
to do a bit of fiddling to get a good audio setup. It would be good to
remember that some of that fiddling is due to the extra freedom that
linux gives you.

and...

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 19:45:13 -0400
Ross Vandegrift <ross_AT_willow.seitz.com> wrote:

>I'll tell ya what. I compile kernels like its nothing. I could build
> some generic, modular kernels with all the nice low-latency stuff
> applied and host them for audio newbies to download and get low latency
> support. It wouldn't be such a huge effort for me.

well that sounds like a good idea to me. ( although personally i'd stick with building my own ;) )

jordan.