Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 19:45:16 EEST

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 08:56:02AM -0700, Joseph Zitt wrote:
> But it is critical to remember, and not to imply, that those who have
> not yet achieved a certain level of advancement are "dumb".

I don't think you mean what you just said. :)
read your statement above carefully...

> Curious. The great majority of people I know who use windows haven't any
> idea what DLLs are.

I suppose a fair number of them have had the experience of increasingly
frequent crashes, services that stop working unexpectedly, hours on
hold with tech support people who prove to have no clue what the
problem is, and the final frustrating advice to reinstall the system
from scratch without ever identifying the source of the problem.

Yes, we have our problems here. Many things are harder than need be.
I've spent uncountable hours over the years trying to get my linux
box to do one thing or another. But I've found comp.os.linux.* and
the various mailing lists to have a *much* better track record for
identifying and fixing problems than any company's tech support
that I've called.

> Remember that most people are not system
> administrators and have no interest in the job, any more than most
> drivers are auto mechanics.

Yes, but when your car breaks, you take it to a mechanic and
they charge you hundreds of dollars to fix it. If you don't
want to do that, you have to know a lot about cars.
If you don't want to pay someone to fix your linux system for you,
you have to learn how to fix it yourself - with help online of course.
What more could you expect? A system that never breaks, never
needs configuring, and anticipates your every desire?
No such thing.

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"